Who We Are
Jubilee USA Network is an alliance of more than 75 US organizations, 250 faith communities and 50 Jubilee global partners. Jubilee USA Network is building an economy that serves, protects and promotes participation of the most vulnerable. Jubilee USA Network has won critical global financial reforms and more than $130 billion in debt relief for the world's poorest countries.
Jubilee calls for a definitive cancellation of international debts and the restoration of right relationships between nations. Our platform specifically calls for:
- Definitive debt cancellation of the international debt owed by countries burdened with high levels of human need and environmental distress which are unable to meet the basic needs of their people or achieve a level of sustainable development that ensures a decent quality of life;
- Definitive debt cancellation, in addition, of debts found to be illegitimate and odious, wherever they exist, through a just and equitable process not controlled by the creditors;
- Definitive debt cancellation that benefits countries' impoverished majorities, is accountable to them and advances their authentic participation in determining the direction of their economies and societies;
- Definitive debt cancellation that is not externally conditioned on economic policy prescriptions, such as IMF-designed and imposed Structural Adjustment Programs (SAPs);
- Acknowledgment of the responsibility of both lenders and borrowers and action to recover resources that were diverted by corrupt and undemocratic regimes, institutions and individuals;
- The emergence of global economic policies and trade rules that eradicate poverty promote sustainable human development and prevent recurring, destructive cycles of indebtedness.
For a further explanation of each platform, please go to the Jubilee Platform and Explanation and Commentary page.
Our Four Pillars
- Implementing responsible borrowing and lending and expanding debt cancellation for indebted poor countries
- Promoting real tax reform by closing tax loopholes and curbing tax havens, which would raise revenue for the Global South and help to foster a more sustainable future
- Establish an International Bankruptcy Process
- Reform International Financial Institutions to be more accountable and transparent