Jubilee USA Network SUPPORT US
Building an economy that serves, protects and promotes participation of the most vulnerableSign-up for our e-Newsletters
Join us

Tips On Calling Your Members of Congress

To find your representative's phone number, call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for your Senator's and/or Representative's office.

Remember that telephone calls are often taken by a staff member, not the member of Congress. Ask to speak with the aide who handles the debt issue.

After identifying yourself, tell the aide you would like to leave a brief message, such as: "Please tell Senator/Representative (Name) that I support/oppose (S.___/H.R.8___)."

  • Bill numbers for the House of Representatives start with H.R. (for House Resolution) and then the number.
  • Bills in the Senate always start with S. (for Senate) and then the number.

You will also want to state reasons for your support or opposition to the bill. Ask for your Senator's or Representative's position on the bill. You may also request a written response to your telephone call.

Make sure to be friendly and acknowledge that the aides are handling many different issues and are often times very busy. Follow-up regularly and begin to develop a relationship with the aide that works on the debt issue. This will make a huge difference when it comes time to enlist your congressperson's support for a particular bill or action.

Recursos en EspañolSite mapSite policy
Copyright © 2007 Jubilee USA Network        coord@jubileeusa.org        202-783-3566 tel         Nonprofit Web Design